Swim With Whale Sharks may to September:
If you thought swimming with dolphins was an amazing adventure, try swimming with Whale Sharks. Whale Sharks (Wikipedia) can grow to be over 40 foot long and weigh 45,000 pounds! These whales are slow moving and eat plankton. They are just about harmless to humans although other sharks may be in the area.
The prime location to view them is in the open sea near Holbox Island north of Isla Mujeres. Isla Holbox is located north of Cancun and is almost unknown to tourists. You can swim with these whales from May to September. The farther you are into summer the better the experience will be.
Holbox Island (Isla Holbox) Overview:
Swimming with whale sharks is an amazing experience that can be enjoyed in the waters off the coast of Mexico. Here’s some information on the best time of year to go, costs from popular tourist destinations, and vendors and their offers:
Best Time of Year:
The best time to swim with whale sharks in Mexico is from mid-May to mid-September, when they migrate to the warm waters of the Yucatan Peninsula to feed. It’s important to note that while this is the peak season, sightings are not guaranteed, as whale sharks are wild animals that cannot be controlled.
Costs from Popular Tourist Destinations:
The cost of swimming with whale sharks in Mexico varies depending on your location and the vendor you choose. Here are some estimates:
– Cancun: Expect to pay around $200-$250 USD per person for a full-day tour, which usually includes transportation, a light breakfast, lunch, and snorkeling gear.
– Playa del Carmen: Prices are similar to Cancun, with full-day tours ranging from $200-$250 USD per person.
– Tulum: Tours from Tulum tend to be a bit more expensive, starting around $250 USD per person and going up from there.
Vendors and Their Offers:
There are many vendors in the Cancun, Playa del Carmen, and Tulum areas that offer whale shark tours. Here are a few to consider:
– Ecotourism Kantun Chi: This company offers whale shark tours from Cancun and Playa del Carmen. Their tours are all-inclusive and feature a small group size for a more personalized experience.
– Whale Shark Cancun: This Cancun-based company offers tours from both Cancun and Playa del Carmen. They pride themselves on their eco-friendly practices and knowledgeable guides.
– Ocean Tours Tulum: This Tulum-based company offers tours to swim with whale sharks, as well as a variety of other water-based activities. Their tours are all-inclusive and feature a maximum of 10 guests per boat.
It’s important to research vendors carefully and read reviews before booking a tour. Look for companies that prioritize safety and sustainability, and consider booking with a smaller operator for a more intimate experience.
Where is Holbox Island (Isla Holbox)?
Whale Shark Tours & Excursions:
Here are the affiliate programs that offer whale shark swimming tours in Cancun, Holbox and Isla Mujeres.
Get Your Guide Holbox Tours & Excursions:
Get Your Guide offers a bunch of whale shark related tours and excursions. You can combine this with some snorkeling and perhaps some ceviche on the beach of Isla Mujeres. Here are ten whale shark experiences to check out near Holbox Island!
Viator Swim With Whale Shark Tours & Excursions:
Here are 5 whale shark expeditions. Some come with additional things like a visit to Isla Mujeres, snorkeling and of course there’s the boat ride.
- Small-Group Eco Friendly: Whale Sharks tour in Cancun & Riviera Maya
- Description:Go for a snorkel with Mexico's gentle giants - whale sharks! Cruising the Gulf of Mexico with an expert guide, you'll snorkel with the biggest fish and maybe spot dolphins, manta rays, and turtles on this small-group snorkeling adventure off the Yucatan c
- Price: $144.00
- Cancun Whale Sharks All-Inclusive Tour
- Description:The whale sharks are one of the largest fish in the ocean, they can grow 40 feet or more, who love warm waters and theyâ€™re favorite food is plankton. Is a very friendly animal and this is why you can get close to them and touch them, whale sharks are do
- Price: $227.43
- Experience in the Caribbean Sea Swimming with whale Sharks from Riviera Maya
- Description:The Whale Shark is the largest fish in the world. Visit Cancun in the summer season and you will have the great opportunity to live a unique experience: swim with this giant, beautiful and harmless in its natural habitat. If you like adventure, get ready
- Price: $190.00
- Swim with Whale Sharks in Cancun
- Description:If you've never heard of a whale shark, this 6-hour, small-group tour will offer a thrilling, witness the longest fish in the world, who happens to also be completely harmless and curious. Whale sharks allow humans to observe and swim around them at a clo
- Price: $200.00
- Swim with Whale Sharks in Cancun
- Description:Swim with whale sharks in Cancun and experience an unforgettable adventure on your next Caribbean escapade. Swim right next to the largest fish in the world, they can measure up to 40 feet long! Going on one of our whale shark excursions in Cancun is tot
- Price: $213.34